Friday, March 12, 2010

Not really proud but kinda...

To set the record straight, I'm not proud of storming out of class the way I did this morning. I mean, both my parents are retired teachers and they'd be greatly offended if one if their students stormed out of class after a heated argument. But then again, I was basically told that I was welcomed to leave the class. So here's the low down of what happened this morning at a high school they call Monash University Sunway campus.

Asshole: If you come to lecture at 9.10am you better just not come in because that would disrupt the class.

Me: But what if you have a valid reason. You know, like you broke your leg but somehow you made it to uni by 9.30 still wanting to go to class.

A: No, you can't enter.

M: But that shows that you still have the initiative to come to class.

A: No.

So if I have a medical appointment at 8.00am and somehow or rather I manage to get to uni and at classroom door, I can't enter? Even if I have an official reason? I guess not.

A: I will pin-point problematic students.

Wtf? Pin-point? Is that a threat? A threat most probably for the numerous students who have complained about him to the school I guess.

A: Divide yourself into two groups and discuss about realism.

M: We already did that last week.

A: Last week we discussed your opinion from realism, today we're gonna talk about realism in the reader.

Aussie Girl: We got our perspective from our reader!

M: So why are we doing this again? Isn't this a waste of time?

A: I'm the lecturer, I tell, you do.

M: I'm not trying to be problematic but if I wanted this, I'd gone to University Malaya.

A: If you don't like it you are welcome to leave the class,

M: Ok, cool.

So yeah, I walked off. I'm not proud of my actions but atleast I stood up for myself. I'm not going to roll-over or sit like they do in obedience school. I'm not your bitch confused Indian guy who speaks with a confused British-American accent. (And I don't look like your momma, so who you calling a bitch).

For two weeks, I had to deal with the most patronizing, egoistic maniac there has ever stepped into the campus. I mean, we have lecturers who are difficult to deal with but this guy really upped the ante when it comes to being difficult. Difficult isn't the right word to even describe him. Asshole would be more appropriate. He even told us to quote him in our assignments. Wtf?

For a 'terrorism expert' he is on top of his game at creating student terrorist. But atleast I learnt something about 'governmentality' which was thought in Media Audiences class. According to Foucault (some philosopher who makes my life harder because we keep having to read about him), he says that governments usually have problems in the solution they take to address a situation. So let me break it down to how I see it now.

The School of Arts and Social Sciences at Monash hired this DICKtator to solve their problem of having to replace another lecturer who taught International Relations because she had to go on sabbatical for her PhD. Now, the solution has become the problem where students from his class are complaining about him and how to solve the problem of HIM!

Haih... that's just another day at Monash. Seriously, why did I pay so much for all this crap again? Note to educational institutions who are hiring lecturers - Make sure you guys do a thorough mental evaluation before you let psychos like this near students.

On another note, Lyn asked if we should make a trip to Langkawi next weekend. To be honest, I don't really mind. I deserve a little break - the beach, the sun, the cheap alco will definitely be welcomed. Ohhh... the SEAFOOD!

It'll be a repeat of what we did last November but hey, what the hell. I love Langkawi and the bf plans on going there again during my semester break. Sounds awesome. We'll see how it goes.

Today, I'll end my post with one of my favourite song of 1998. Aqua's Turn Back Time. No, I am not as sadistic to put up Barbie Girl. The song is from the movie Sliding Doors (One of my fav. movies of all time I guess) starring Gwyneth Paltrow and John Hannah.




No comments:

Post a Comment